Recipies with savory
|Duck Tourtière from the Outaouais region||Easy||226||Sangiovese||Saveurs du Monde|
|Pan-Roasted Gambas with Dried Herbs and Asparagus||Easy||147.8||Saveurs du Monde|
|Pea Soup||Easy||47.9||Saveurs du Monde|
|Poached Veal Shanks with Spring Vegetables||Easy||125.4||Shiraz||Saveurs du Monde|
|Rétes - Hungarian Strudel||Average||532.1||Saveurs du Monde|
* This information is for illustrative purposes only. Your cooking techniques and products used can significantly change the nutritional values of your recipe.
All About Savory
Origin: Mediterranean Europe
An aromatic plant of the Labiatae family
From the Latin "satureia," herb of the satyrs, since it was said to possess aphrodisiac properties.
Annual, or summer, savory is the best known. It is bushy, with 2-4 mm ash-green whorls, which look like long shiny needles, edged with fine cilia.
In Provence it is nicknamed "Pèvre d'Ase," or donkey pepper, referring to the caustic character of this brushland jewel which is a constituent of the famous "herbes de Provence," and of the less well-known mixture of "turtle herbs" which enhance turtle soup.
Rich in calcium and Vitamin A.
Choose savory with a firm stem and straight branches, with no yellowing or softness.
It can be kept easily for a week in a plastic bag in the lower part of the refrigerator.
In oil: Place the savory branches in a container and cover with oil.
- Cooking tips
- Its peppery and slightly bitter flavor adds zest to horseradish sauce, tomatoes, stuffings, omelettes, butter pastries and goat cheese in olive oil.
- Use summer savory - whose flavour is reminiscent of both thyme and mint - with fresh vegetables such as snow peas, salsify, braised green beans and bean salads, certain fishes (such as trout), cheeses and mild dishes.
- Choose winter savory for stuffings, legumes and sausages.
- Excellent for flavouring goose, duck, roast pork, grilled veal and roast rabbit. Combined with thyme, rosemary, parsley and mint, it imparts an incomparable flavor to lamb.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of savory over roast pork half-way through cooking.
- When combined with starchy foods, savory makes them easier to digest.
- Roast bass: stuff with savory, bay leaf, lemon juice, white wine, garlic cloves, softened butter, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Savory is an excellent seasoning for roast rabbit. Try it as well in rabbit rillettes: 4 shoulders of young rabbit, 200 g goose fat, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs of thyme, 4 sprigs of savory.
The Worldwide Gourmet
France - Fresh savory is used to flavor Provencal salads, grilled veal, roast lamb and loin of pork
Soupe provençale - broth, 1 kg of beans, 1 onion, 2 sprigs of savory, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper; serve with croutons.